Training for boxing is a great way to gain confidence, increase basketball performance through cross training in off season and implement new neural patterns and movements. Kids don’t punch people, punch bags.
– Author Mike Atkinson
The Crossover between Boxing and Basketball will make you a Better Athlete and Player!
- Fundamental “Athletic Stance” sometimes referred to as a “Blade”(a skate board stance basically) used for protection and to generate power from trunk/hip rotation
- Strength is a major factor in the ability to maintain balance (core, stance)
- Keep your head in the fight not only mentally but physichally
- If you catch yourself leaning odds are you will be exposed
- To generate power we must create some sort of leverage
- Mobility allows us to rotate and pivot the back foot to generate a straight right
- The ability to squat down and create hip extension through an uppercut
- A fundamental movement often overlooked upon the higher we progress through the basketball hierarchy
- Stance, Balance and the ability to stay in a bladed postition allow the boxer to always face their opponent in a stance
- Force x Speed, the force generated = Stance,Strength, Balance,Hip Mobility
NBA Athletes using Boxing for Training in Off Season.
YouTube – Magnum Rolle Project
Roy Hibbert, Paul George Add MMA Training To Their Workouts http://sbnation.com/e/1429950